Monday, July 6, 2015

Time is Fleeting

The very first book I read on the subject of breast cancer was a memoir in which the author talks about her year after diagnosis as a “wash.” She said it didn’t count. This was her way of accepting her diagnosis and everything that comes with it; the endless scans, bloodwork, doctor’s appointments, surgeries. I tried to look at this year like that, but I knew I couldn’t.

How could I when this was the same year that my son was born? As a new mom with a stage IV diagnosis, it’s hard to be so dismissive of my time. This year cannot be a wash because this might be the only year I have left. With that kind of thinking comes this extreme pressure to live every single moment to the fullest, but what the hell does that really even mean!? And how the hell do I plan ahead for my family's future when mine is so uncertain.

Lately it’s taken everything in me to try to be mindful of the present and just take one day at a time. I have this persistent anxiety over what I should or should not be doing, and sometimes it’s crippling. Just this past weekend, I flipped out over a slight detour, feeling that the half hour I was off course was wasted time; time that I will never get back. I got so angry and frustrated that I lashed out at my husband. And then I realized that my reaction was all wrong and that I was the only one responsible for putting myself in such a bad mood. I was quick to apologize, he was quick to forgive. That’s how we get through this together; quick to apologize and quick to forgive so that we can move on and continue to enjoy what we can.

My husband is an extremely patient and generous man. I am thankful for him and our strong relationship every single day. Simultaneously, I am also afraid for him. What will my death do to him and how will he cope as a single parent to our young son? It’s a very real concern and yet no one wants to talk about it. Instead people keep telling me to stay positive and “keep fighting.” Can I share a secret with you? As grateful as I am for the daily support and outpourings of love and encouragement, I am so discouraged when I hear things like “you will beat cancer!” Because the truth is, no, no I won’t. Death is a fact of life and metastatic disease pretty much guarantees that it will come sooner than expected. So when I die, does that mean that I just didn’t fight hard enough? Will I be pegged as a victim rather than a survivor?

We use all these war metaphors and slap a pretty pink ribbon on just about anything and say that we’re raising awareness and “fighting” for the cause. But I’m tired of all the metaphors. I’m even more tired of the rhetoric around early detection…especially those idiots (yeah, I’m going to call people names now) who shout things like “save the ta-tas” to someone who has already undergone a mastectomy and therefore did not get to save her ta tas. This drivel does nothing to further research for those of us already diagnosed, suffering through treatment, facing advanced disease.

Despite the ubiquitous pink ribbon, 20% to 30% of people initially diagnosed with early stage disease will develop metastatic breast cancer. The cancer that kills. Yes, we have made some serious strides in breast cancer research and thus treatment options. In the 70s the average survival after a mets diagnosis was only 18 months. Today, the median survival is three years. Call me greedy, but I want more! I want longevity but I also want a sustainable quality of life. I want to grow old with my husband. I want to raise our son together.  Is that really so much to ask for?

The Stones probably said (sang) it best, you can’t always get what you want. Here’s hoping that my mets sisters and I can get what we need…. I implore you to please get involved in a way that can make a real difference. Do some research to know what your dollars go toward when you buy something marketed with a pink ribbon, or better yet, read up on MetaVivor and make a donation that will matter: www.metavivor.org. 





For additional information and breast cancer awareness please "like" and follow Jenny B. vs Breast Cancer on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JBvsBC




No comments:

Post a Comment